Did you know that if you leave grass clippings on your lawn, they provide it with lots of healthy nutrients? The problem is, however, that simply leaving all your clippings on your lawn is not a good either. Because so many people have lawns, we think they are easy to maintain and easy to look after. In reality, however, it takes a great deal of specialized knowledge to do so properly, which is why you should consider becoming a customer with a professional lawn care service. So, before explaining the ins and outs of lawn clippings, let’s take a look at what to expect from a lawn service.
True Green Lawn Service
One example of an excellent service is that which is offered by True Green. By reading the reviews left about Trugreen Lawn Care, you will quickly see why they are so popular. Time and again, you will read this review and that review that tells you just how fantastic the company is. Not just that, a lot of people have found a review helpful, signed up for the service, and then left a comment to explain how great their lawn now looks. The company is committed to using natural products and natural processes, including using lawn clippings, therefore, to benefit their customers.
Using Lawn Clippings
Lawn clippings help because they decompose almost in full. Additionally, around 5% of them is made up of nitrogen, a vital nutrient for a good lawn. Plus, it helps to cover your soil, enabling it to retain root moisture. This is important when the weather is dry or there is a lot of sunshine. Hence, when you leave your clippings, you don’t need as much fertilizer either.
When to Bag Clippings
Around 80% of clippings decompose. The other 20% is concerning, however. If it lays on decaying grass for too long, it can create what is known as “thatch”. Thatch is essentially a dead blade of grass that doesn’t have any nutrient value. If you mow your law and it has a lot of thatch, you should bag all the clippings, because you won’t benefit your soil at all. Plus, if you do leave it, you increase the chance of fungus starting to grow, which will wreak havoc on your lawn.
Dethatching the Lawn
If you have a thatch layer of half an inch or more, you will need to dethatch it. Dig up a piece of lawn and look at it sideways, which should show you the grass blades, the crown, the thatch, and the soil. The thatch looks almost knitted and brown in color. If it is wider than half an inch, then you have to get rid of it, and that is quite a significant job. That would definitely be a reason, in other words, to call in True Green and get some help instead. After all, if you don’t do this properly, you may have to completely renew your lawn, which would be far more costly and time consuming than simply hiring a professional company in the first place.